Kali’s brand new 2023 Dramaturgy Placement
A unique paid professional development opportunity for emerging script editors to gain experience working with writers alongside professional dramaturgs on the development of new plays
We are looking for an early-stage, aspiring dramaturg to join our DISCOVERY project. This is an opportunity for those working with new writing who want to develop their dramaturgical skills. You may already be a budding dramaturg or a playwright, director, producer or actor creating new work for performance
You will get the opportunity to
- Read and discuss the development of new short plays in conjunction with the Kali Discovery team
- Observe and take part in script selection panels in London & Leicester
- Shadow dramaturgs as they give feedback to writers
- Observe rehearsals for Kali’s Autumn production – Phantasmagoria by Deepika Arwind – alongside the dramaturg
- Engage with other leading literary managers who will mentor you through skills development work including guidance on making and feeding back dramaturgical notes to a writer.
- Develop your own script with help from the Kali team.
2o days across September 2023 – February 2024
4 September First read through with the cast of Kali’s Autumn production Phantasmagoria by Deepika Arwind
5- 8 September Mentoring with the production’s dramaturg plus Discovery project script reading and selection panels
September 2 days (dates TBA) shadowing the Discovery dramaturgs as they give feedback to the selected writers
Plus a further 8 days for script work, theatre visits and mentoring with theatre Literary Managers and Dramaturgs
5 – 9 February Attend and observe 5 days of the London Discovery rehearsals and showcase performance of developed scripts
Fee An all-inclusive fee on a freelance basis of £2,500 for the 20 days to be paid in instalments
Previous experience of writing, directing or creating new theatre work is desirable
This opportunity is for artists who identify as women and AFAB non-binary from a South Asian background – At least one parent must be descended from the diasporas of the Indian subcontinent
How to apply Please email us a CV (no more than two pages) and a separate one page covering letter outlining your ambitions and aspirations for your career and how this opportunity would help you, including written confirmation of how your background makes you eligible for this opportunity.
CV and covering letter in PDF or Word format only
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line DRAMATURG APPLICATION
Deadline Tuesday 4 July
London interviews will take place on Wed 2 August