We are looking for an Assistant Director for our production of Noor at Southwark Playhouse in November 2022. This is a professional development opportunity for early career theatre directors.
Written by Azma Dar and directed by Poonam Brah, Noor is the inspirational and moving true story of Noor Inayat Khan, a WW2 undercover wireless operator in Occupied Paris who evaded capture longer than any of her counterparts.
This is a great opportunity to observe and learn about directing new theatre writing through:
- Assisting the Director and cast of Noor through the rehearsals and production period in the theatre
- Observing and reporting on performances during the run
- Helping with the casting for the workshops in our upcoming International Play Development Programme
- Observing & supporting these new script development workshops
- Sessions with the Artistic Director on the direction of a theatre company
- Sessions with the General Manager on managing a studio theatre production
Dates: 3 October – 9 December
Fee: An all-inclusive fee on a freelance basis of £5,000 to be paid in instalments
This opportunity is for people from a South Asian background* who identify as women or AFAB non-binary.
*At least one parent must be descended from the diasporas of the Indian subcontinent
Please note that having previous experience of directing and creating new theatre work is desirable.
How to apply:
- Please email us attaching a CV (no more than two pages) and a separate one page covering letter outlining your ambitions and aspirations for your career and how this opportunity would help you
- Please confirm how your background makes you eligible for this opportunity
- Please ensure your CV and covering letter are in PDF or Word format only
- Send your application to email@example.com by Thursday 11th August 5pm, with the subject line ASSISTANT DIRECTOR APPLICATION
Interviews will take place week beginning 15 August (date to be confirmed)